Bloomin’ Dog Dangers

by admin on March 30, 2011

Ahhh spring! Time to smell the buttercups but keep your canines away from them! With the buds and blossoms come some real dangers to your dog. According the ASPCA, there are 391 plants that are toxic to dogs from Amaryllis & Carnations to Wisteria & Yucca. Check the list here.Other dangers are the commercial lawn sprays contain herbicides or pesticides. In to potential toxicity, sometimes common fertilizers can also cause allergic reactions in some dogs. Check with your landscaper or look at the labels before you green up the lawn or spray for weed. Now that spring is upon us, maybe it’s a good time to think about organic fertilizers.

Here’s some symptoms that could give you a tip that your pet got into something toxic: excessive drooling, rapid breathing, weakness in the legs, vomiting, fever, dizziness and loss of balance. If you believe your pet has ingested a toxic plant, remove your pet from the area where you think or know the plant was ingested and follow these steps:

* Check to make sure your pet is safe: breathing and acting normally.
* Do not give any home antidotes.
* Do not induce vomiting without consulting a vet or Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.
* If veterinary attention is necessary, bring your pet and the poison to your vet immediately

So take time to smell the blossoms but keep Fido away Daisies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Previous post:

Next post: